Program Manager Science and Math Education
Manage the lifecycle of Program 1 under ST 1 which deals with identifying and developing means to promote an awareness and appreciation of Science and Math Education, as well as in developing the capabilities of the education system to deliver quality Science and Math education.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Work towards the achievement of the strategic outcomes assigned to ST 1, with particular reference to the goals and objectives of Program 1.
- Monitor the utilization of budgets allocated to the program on a periodic basis and report to the Director Scientific Culture.
- Assist in identifying problems or gaps in the current Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) system and recommend specific intervention programs to address them.
- 1. Identify and manage relationships with stakeholders to the education system in Kuwait, i.e. Ministry of Education and the schools/universities to promote the advancement of Science and Math education and development.
- Consult and engage with the key stakeholders to validate the Science and Math education and development issues and needs.
- Develop an annual survey in order to create a baseline for many of the outputs and outcomes so that improvements can be continuously made.
- Identify activities and initiatives that will encourage the uptake of Science and Math education in the early stage of education (age 6 – 18).
- Develop means to communicate the importance of a Science and Math based education to the family system of Kuwait. This should be done in close coordination with the Communication and Prizes.
- Work in close coordination with the Ministry of Education and schools to identify and implement measures to develop the Science and Math capability of teachers and educators across Kuwait.
- Identify tools, materials, systems and programs that can be used within the Education sector for increasing the effectiveness of the way Science and Math are taught in schools.
- Identify and establish a network of scientists and professionals that can be called upon for specialist presentations or discussion to students, as well as to act as mentors to students.
- Support Science Clubs, Youth Centers and other related organizations through providing funding, give them access to a science network, or developing science programs for them.
- Work closely with the Program Manager - Publicizing & Dissemination to identify and create media that can be used in the school systems, as well as in Science Clubs etc.
- Initiate and implement a collaborative programme with Ministry of Education intended to nominate students for the participation in international science forums and networks.
- Coordinate and manage the Student Research Prize for the GCC Water Week with the Steering Committee comprised of representatives from KFAS, Ministry of Electricity and Water and the Ministry of Education.
- Coordinate and manage the Al Riyada Photography & Children Drawings Competition
- Liaise with the Sabah Al Ahmed Center to leverage resources between KFAS and the Center concerning the development of Science and Math education.
- Liaise with the Strategic Planning and Evaluation to review and update the Program KPIs and understand how to track the performance.
- Monitor the performance of each of the programs through the continuous tracking of the Program KPIs and compiling performance reports for the Director Scientific Culture.
- Work hand in hand with any consultants engaged with KFAS for the purposes of ST 1 programs.
- Establish the performance plans for direct subordinates.
- Drive the engagement and satisfaction of all employees to discuss the achievements of the program/s and address any employee issues and/or concerns.
- Participate in the identification of training and development initiatives for all employees within the Department.
Key Interactions and Relationships
- Deputy Director General Programs.
- Strategic Planning & Evaluation.
- Ministry of Education
- Universities and schools
- Science community
- Society of teachers
- Training and development institutions
Education & Qualifications
- Masters Degree in Education or any related field
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- 12 years experience within the education sector
- Minimum of 5 years project management experience
- Experience in a funding institution of a similar size and nature is desirable
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Organization Building and Resourcing
- Decision Making
- Driving and Managing Change
- Building Partnerships
- Visioning and Alignment
- Program Management
- Science Activities and Initiatives
- Program Budget Management
- Program Design
- Accessing, Developing & Sharing Knowledge
- Program Review, Monitoring & Evaluation