Established in 1988 in response to an initiative of His Highness the Amir of the State of Kuwait to honor distinguished Kuwaitis holding a PhD in various fields of knowledge, the Prize now also acts as an encouragement to the leading Kuwait-based scientists and researchers to further pursue their research for the benefit of society. Today, the prize has grown to include 6 fields and each winner receives a prize worth KD 10,000.
The Scientific Production Prize in each of the following six areas in accordance with the requirements approved by its Board of Directors:
- Physical Sciences and Mathematics:
Physics – Chemistry – Geology – Mathematics – Statistics – Computer Sciences and other majors.
- Engineering Sciences:
Agricultural Engineering – Chemical Engineering – Civil Engineering – Electrical Engineering – Industrial Engineering – Mechanical Engineering – Petroleum Engineering and other majors.
- Biological Sciences:
Botany – Embryology – Zoology – Entomology – Biochemistry – Agronomy and Animal Science (including Veterinary Science – Diary production – Poultry production – Livestock and Pisciculture – Agricultural Chemistry – Plant pathology – Horticulture) and other majors.
- Medical Sciences and Allied Health Sciences :
Anatomy – Pharmacology – Physiology – Microbiology – Pathology – Internal Medicine – Gynecology and Obstetrics – Pediatrics – Psychiatry – Radiotherapy – Surgery – Dentistry – Ophthalmology – Microbiology and other majors.
- Social Sciences and Humanities:
Anthropology – Psychology – Sociology – Political Sciences – History – Geography – Pedagogy – Arabic Language – Foreign Languages – Philosophy – Law – Islamic Law and other majors.
- Administration and Economics:
Business Administration – Marketing – Industrial Management – Finance and Investment – Accounting – Economics – Insurance – Public Administration and other majors.
For each of the above-mentioned fields, the foundation awards an annual Prize of a cash sum of K.D. 10,000 (Ten Thousand Kuwaiti Dinars), a gold medal, a KFAS shield and a certificate of recognition.
Conditions and requirements:
- The Applicant should be a Kuwaiti National
- The applicant should be holding a Ph.D degree, and at least 10 publications in refereed Journals after earning the Ph.D degree.
- The ssubmitted production should include the following:
- papers published or accepted for publication in refereed journals
- papers published in proceeding of scientific conferences
- research presented in the scientific conferences (presentation or posters)
- books (authored, translated, edited, and chapter in a book)
- Articles, Studies, Scientific reports and Patents
- Master and Ph.D Thesis shall not be evaluated as part of applicant’s scientific work.
- KFAS decisions concerning the Prizes are final and objections are not accepted.
- Applicants must fill in the prize application form and send along with supporting work electronically. The application form is obtained from KFAS website kfas.org. The application form along with comprehensive scientific achievements should be sent in PDF format, either via USB memory stick addressed to: Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences- Al shark, Ahmed Al-Jaber St., Kuwait – Tel: (965) 22270465, OR through the cloud storage services sites such as Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive via the Prizes Offices email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are evaluated through three Evaluation committees, formed by the Prizes council as follows:
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering Sciences: The task of this committee is to review and evaluate the Scientific production in the fields of Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering Sciences, and to forward appropriate recommendation of the winners to the Prizes council and the Board of Directors for final endorsement.
- Biological Sciences, Medical Sciences and Applied Health Sciences: The task of this committee is to review and evaluate the scientific production in the fields of Biological Sciences, the field of Medical Sciences and Allied Health Sciences, and to forward appropriate recommendation of the winners to the Prizes council and the Board of Directors for final endorsement.
Social Sciences, Humanities, Administration and Economics: The task of this committee is to review and evaluate the scientific production in the fields of Social Sciences, Humanities, Administration and Economics, and to forward appropriate recommendation of the winners to the Prizes council and the Board of Directors for final endorsement